Massage feels AMAZING and it can help you relax but did you know that Massage Therapy can do much more than just offer you relaxation? Here’s 6 facts you probably didn’t know about massage…
1. Massage counteracts all the sitting you do Most people are dealing with some kind of postural stress, more often than not it tends to manifest in the shoulders and neck. More advanced forms of postural stress show up as pain or weakness in the lower back and or glutes caused by prolonged periods of sitting. Luckily Massage can counteract the imbalance caused by sitting……as long as you get them regularly!
2. Massage helps post workout recovery Got sore muscles? Massage can do wonders for decreasing muscle aches and pain. Massage increases and improves circulation which helps the body to recover post stressful exercise. In much the same way as rubbing your elbow when you knock it on a table, massage can help to relieve the pain.
3. Massage soothes anxiety and depression Human touch, in a safe, friendly and professional context can be incredibly therapeutic and relaxing.
4. Massage improves sleep Massage encourages restful sleep by putting you in a relaxed state as it shift’s the nervous system from fight or flight, into rest and digest helping it to be calm. It also help’s those who can’t comfortably unwind.
5. Massage boosts immunity A 2010 study published in “The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine” found that massage boosts patients white blood cell count. White blood cells play a large role in defending the body against disease.
6. Massage can relieve headaches Next time a headache hits, try booking a last minute massage. Massage decreases the frequency and severity of tension headaches A single session of massage therapy has an immediate effect on perceived pain in people with chronic tension headaches.