Most of us have been on a diet and experienced fast but very short term results only to try the next diet or reduce calories more and more until we can’t do it anymore and we return to our old eating habits. Once you return to your old eating habits, which probably made you overweight in the first place, you gain all the weight you lost back and even more.
Why does this happen?
The body has a great way of adapting to change, as soon as you reduce calorie intake your body will slow down to be able to survive on less food. Or if you choose to increase your cardiovascular activity for weight loss your body will adapt to this also. The only way to continue to see results is to keep cutting down calorie intake by eating less or exercising more. This can work to some degree but it can also be very damaging to the body and it is not the only area of focus for weight loss. Natural weight loss is much more than just a diet. It is an individual approach to long term results that are easy to keep up for the rest of your life. Holistic weight loss teaches you how to listen to your body, how to have a healthy lifestyle, create balance and feel great while achieving your goals. Some of the factors that can make it difficult to lose weight are:
- Toxicity – a toxic body likes to store fat, this is one of the main reasons people struggle to lose weight (or body fat).
- Sluggish metabolism – constant low calorie diets or excessive exercise and stress can damage the metabolism, this needs to be addressed before attempting a weight loss plan.
- Stress – high levels of stress can affect the body in many ways, one being increasing inflammation within the body. Stress management is a big priority for a healthy lifestyle.
- Lack of sleep – our bodies need enough sleep to rest and repair. When we don’t get enough sleep it affects our hormonal system making it impossible to lose weight.
- Thyroid gland – poor diet, stress, toxicity, xeno-oestrogens among other factors can affect the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland controls metabolic rate. There are many ways to treat the thyroid gland naturally.
- Elevated insulin – when insulin is elevated it is very difficult to lose body fat especially around the abdominal area.
- Liver, digestion, hormonal systems – all need to be working at optimal levels to aid weight loss.
- Energy levels – a fatigued body needs rest, quality nutritional support and the right type of exercise.
- Eating right for YOUR body type – not all diets work for everyone. Finding what fuel source your body works well on is a very important key to weight loss.
Before starting any weight loss plan you may need some help with some of the above. Simple tests and investigation during a naturopathic consult can help discover what areas in you need to focus on.
What is Naturopathy?
Naturopathy is a holistic approach to optimal health and vitality. It consists of the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of illness by the therapeutic use of natural medicines, nutrition and lifestyle changes. The philosophy of Naturopathy is that the body has the ability to heal itself given the right foundation. Ensuring all body systems are balanced, nutrition is right for the individual, stress levels are down and there’s enough movement each day; your body has the ability to balance and be vital.